May 9, 2012:
National Bike to School Day
Join the fun by organizing a Bike to School Day at your school.
Participating in National Bike to School Day is an easy way to introduce biking to school as part of a healthy, active lifestyle. Bike to School Days can be as simple or as complex as you like. Whether it’s a few parents organizing a group ride or an all day Bike Safety Festival, Bike to School Day is a great time to begin!
It’s easier than you think. Here’s how:
- Pick a day. That’s easy, Wednesday, May 9
- Announce it. That’s easy too: e-mail some friends, post it to your School or community website or chat room
- Join the fun!
Really, Bike to School Days can be as simple or as involved as you like – or that you have time for. You can choose a meet up spot and encourage people to ride in groups. Look for donations for incentives/prizes or create a party around the day. You can have bike safety instruction during P.E. or before or after school.
- Enlist community or civic leadership
- Involve local law enforcement
- Create route maps
- Use this day as an opportunity to launch a regular bike or walk to school program
Need some help or have some questions? No problem. Just ask!